Maine Koach Build

Welcome to Ernie's KOACH & DRAG-U-LA forum, where fans of the classic '60s TV show "The Munsters" can discuss the original
custom-built vehicles and their replicas.

BillC

06 Oct 2016, 00:57 #1

Hello all,
  I am currently collecting parts to begin a Koach build this fall. I have purchased a 93 Ford F-150 with a 302 and 4 speed. I will use the complete running gear. I have also acquired a complete 1927 Model T Touriing car with extra side panels. I still need to find 2 front doors. All the frame steel will be here this week.
  I am building the Koach with an experienced antique hot rod builder so I have delegated myself to acquisition and minor fabricating. I have located the rear lamps (we are using two in order to make it street legal).
 Any information on where to buy the brass parts to fabricate the side lamps and front lamps would be appreciated. Also, where to get the "stirrup" style door handles.
Thanks for the help,
It's great to be here,
BillC
P.S. There was a guy named John who had built the lamps and offered to make more for customers. I tried contacting him at [email protected] but was unable to get a response. Any one know how to contact him?
Last edited by BillC on 06 Nov 2016, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

rock a bye munster

06 Oct 2016, 02:59 #2

Hiya Bill, welcome to the board Image sounds like you have all the big pieces necessary to start your Koach project Image, if you have access to some sheetmetal fab equipment you can make the doors yourself, many original doors for sale are usually rusted out on the bottom half, which can be difficult to detect, they are exactly 20 inches long overall, they're basically the same design as the back doors but without the wheel opening. Original stirrup door handles are often listed on ebay motors, as that's where I bought mine, early vintage Cadillac and Packard cars each had their own versions of them, there's also the cheap repo universal stirrup handles available from vintage auto parts retailers, let us know how you get on Image

BillC

07 Oct 2016, 00:45 #3

Thanks for the welcome rock-a-bye.
Yes we do have access to metal fab equipment. We were thinking it would be a real time saver to just buy two doors. It's getting exciting now. The frame is being jigged this week and the drive train is being removed from the donor truck. Hopefully we should have a rolling chassis by next week. I'll keep you all posted as to our progress and photos when I have something to photograph.
BillC

batcarman

07 Oct 2016, 19:52 #4

Pictures, we need pictures!  

BillC

08 Oct 2016, 00:33 #5

hahaha.....I promise to post pics as soon as we have something.
BillC

D J Scannell

08 Oct 2016, 00:52 #6

I second that,  please post the build pics,  Never seen a Koach built on on a F150 chassis,  I love the out of the box thinking.
  Please share you thoughts on the build as it goes,  I learn from what works and what doesn't.

Thanks

D.J.

rock a bye munster

08 Oct 2016, 05:47 #7

Hi Bill, you want to examine any doors carefully before committing yourself, reason being, I have just started dipping my doors in citric acid this past week, and a front door which I "assumed" was the best of the lot, came up full of rust holes, even had cracking in the hinge area, its no surprise that Barris built his Munster Koach from fiberglass!

BillC

10 Oct 2016, 03:16 #8

I'll be careful. Hoping when the car finally gets here the panels are as good as they look on the photo. I've also tracked down a fiberglass company that makes doors for the model t. I don't know if they make them for the touring car or not. I'll call tomorrow (Monday).

BillC

10 Oct 2016, 03:47 #9

D J Scannell wrote:  I second that,  please post the build pics,  Never seen a Koach built on on a F150 chassis,  I love the out of the box thinking.
  Please share you thoughts on the build as it goes,  I learn from what works and what doesn't.

Thanks

D.J.

Sorry DJ, I didn't make my post clear. We are welding up the frame to match the 26 touring car body. We are only using the drivetrain from the F-150.

rock a bye munster

10 Oct 2016, 05:26 #10

Im using 3x2 box tubing on my car set at 26 inches wide, this also matches the width of a Model A chassis at the front crossmember,  hope this helps you Bill Image